Goodwill Industries of Northwest North Carolina is operating several Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites to provide free tax preparation services, including information about the Eearned Income Tax Credit. The sites are:
- Career Connections Center, 2701 University Parkway: Wednesdays & Thursdays, 4-8 p.m.
- Regional Operations Center, 2760 Peters Creek Parkway: Tuesdays & Thursdays, 4-7 p.m.
- Prosperity Center, 508 Waughtown Street: Mondays, 9 a.m.-noon, Wednesdays, 4-8 p.m., Fridays, 11 a.m-1 p.m., & Saturdays 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Career Connections Center, 413 Thornburg Drive: Mondays-Thursdays, 5-8 p.m., Saturdays 9 a.m.-noon
- Iredell County Workforce Development Center, 124 Fourth Crescent Place: Tuesdays & Thursdays, 5-8 p.m., Every other Saturday starting Feb. 7, 9 a.m.-noon
Goodwill is also partnering with the National Disability Institute and United Way to expand free online tax preparation and filing assistance to qualified individuals. Funded by the Walmart Foundation, MyFreeTaxes.com is a free online option to file federal and state tax returns for people with a household income of $60,000 or less. Two Goodwill locations are available for people wanting to prepare their own taxes online:
- Wilkes County Career Connections Center, 1821 US Hwy 421, Wilkesboro
- Buncombe County Career Connections Center, 1616 Patton Avenue, Asheville
“Hard-working individuals and families deserve a financial boost that can make an immediate impact in their homes and communities,” said Sherry Carpenter, the vice president of workforce development services for Goodwill NWNC. “By claiming valuable tax credits like the EITC and taking advantage of free tax preparation services, millions of families will have the ability to improve their financial stability and better care for their families.”
Goodwill’s VITA sites will operate through the tax filing deadline on April 15.